Florissa and The Autism Program of Illinois are proud to announce two training opportunities by Dr. Paula Kluth, a consultant, teacher, author, advocate, and independent scholar who works with teachers and families to provide inclusive opportunities for students with disabilities and to create more responsive and engaging schooling experiences for all learners. Dr. Kluth, a former special educator, classroom teacher and inclusion facilitator, will be in Dixon, IL, April 6th and 7th for the following trainings.
We Thought You’d Never Ask: Voices from the Spectrum
April 6, 2017 / 6:00-7:30 p.m. @ Sauk Valley Community College
REGISTRATION FEE: $ Free (unless continuing education credits are needed, then a charge of $10.00/person will be assessed.
In this discussion, Dr. Kluth explores the gap between the dominant discourse in Autism and the stories of people on the spectrum themselves. This is a free seminar geared toward consumers and family members. Professionals are also welcome to attend. If you need Continuing Education credits for this session, a $10.00 fee will be charged.
You’re Going to Love This Kid!
April 7, 2017 / 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. @ Sauk Valley Community College
REGISTRATION FEE: $75.00 for teachers and professionals / $40.00 for consumers and family members. Deadline to register: March 29, 2017. *
In this interactive session, participants will learn practical ways of supporting individuals with Autism Spectrum and other disabilities within a general education classroom and other supportive environments. Topics addressed include:
- Defining and re-defining Autism
- Listening to the voices of those with special needs
- Differentiating instruction
- Creating more active and responsive lessons/interactions
- Making the classroom, home and supportive environment more comfortable
- Providing opportunities for communication and social skill development
- Using fascinations and special interests as a support tool
To register for either of the trainings either fill out the registration brochure or register on-line: www.GetMeRegistered.com/GoingtoLovethisKid. Questions regarding these trainings can be directed to Candice Bass of Florissa at (815) 288-1905 or via email: email@example.com,
Dr. Kluth’s professional interests include differentiating instruction, active learning, and inclusive schooling. Paula is the director of a documentary film titled We Thought You’d Never Ask: Voices of People with Autism, and author or co-author of more than 15 books and products:
- 30 Days to the Co-taught Classroom
- Don’t We Already Do Inclusion?
- From Text Maps to Memory Caps: 100 More Ways to Differentiate Instruction in K-12 Inclusive Classrooms
- You’re Going to Love This Kid!
* Registrations received after the deadline of March 29th will be charged a fee of $100 for professionals and $55.00 for consumers and families.`